Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
2 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
Endodontic treatment with excellent outcomes depends on the critical identification of the root and its canals anatomy. The successful identification of these anatomies guaranteed the pulp tissue extirpation completely, with efficiency in chemo-mechanical cleaning and shaping. All these lead to three-dimensional root canal obturation with the most reliable inert filling. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the occurrence of radix entomolaris in mandibular molars between male and female patients. A total of 1503 patient records were reviewed and analyzed from June 2019 to March 2020 in Saveetha Dental College. All 1503 patients were assessed for the radix entomolaris, data entered in Microsoft excel sheet, and transferred to SPSS software for statistical results. The Chi-Square test was done to analyze the correlation between the gender prevalence of radix entomolaris in mandibular first molars. The prevalence of patients with Radix Entomolaris was 0.5% (7 of 1503), 0.47% (4 of 843) for females, and 0.45% (3 of 660) for males, which showed statistically insignificant (p-value >0.05). Within the limitations of the study, there is no significant evidence suggesting that gender plays a major role in the occurrence of Radix Entomolaris.
- Ahmed, H. A. et al. (2007) ‘Root and canal morphology of permanent mandibular molars in a Sudanese population’, International endodontic journal, 40(10), pp. 766–771.
- Bahammam, H. A. and Bahammam, L. A. (2012) ‘The incidence of radix entomolaris in mandibular first permanent molars in a Saudi Arabian Sub-Population’, Journal of King Abdulaziz University: Medical Sciences, 98(284), pp. 1–16.
- Calberson, F. L., De Moor, R. J. and Deroose, C. A. (2007) ‘The radix entomolaris and paramolaris: clinical approach in endodontics’, Journal of endodontia, 33(1), pp. 58–63.
- Chandra, S. S. et al. (2011) ‘Prevalence of radix entomolaris in mandibular permanent first molars: a study in a South Indian population’, Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology, oral radiology, and endodontics, 112(3), pp. e77–82.
- Cohen, S. and Burns, R. C. (2002) ‘Pathways of the pulp, St. Louis’. Mosby, Inc.
- Colak, H., Ozcan, E. and Hamidi, M. M. (2012) ‘Prevalence of three-rooted mandibular permanent first molars among the Turkish population’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 15(3), pp. 306–310.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Garg, A. K. et al. (2010) ‘Prevalence of three-rooted mandibular permanent first molars among the Indian Population’, Journal of endodontia, 36(8), pp. 1302–1306.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Kuzekanani, M. et al. (2017) ‘Radix Entomolaris in the Mandibular Molar Teeth of an Iranian Population’, International journal of dentistry, 2017, p. 9364963.
- Kuzekanani, M., Haghani, J. and Nosrati, H. (2012) ‘Root and canal morphology of mandibular third molars in an Iranian population’, Journal of dental research, dental clinics, dental prospects, 6(3), pp. 85–88.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. P. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(6), pp. 716–720.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mukhaimer, R. and Azizi, Z. (2014) ‘Incidence of Radix Entomolaris in Mandibular First Molars in Palestinian Population: A Clinical Investigation’, International scholarly research notices, 2014, p. 405601.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth--A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, 22(2), pp. 249–256.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019a) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa brasileira em odontopediatria e clinica integrada, 19. Available at: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S1983-46322019000100364&script=sci_arttext.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019b) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shemesh, A. et al. (2015) ‘Prevalence of 3- and 4-rooted first and second mandibular molars in the Israeli population’, Journal of endodontia, 41(3), pp. 338–342.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- Souza-Flamini, L. E. et al. (2014) ‘The Radix Entomolaris and Paramolaris: A Micro–Computed Tomographic Study of 3-rooted Mandibular First Molars’, Journal of endodontics, 40(10), pp. 1616–1621.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Walker, R. T. and Quackenbush, L. E. (1985) ‘Three-rooted lower first permanent molars in Hong Kong Chinese’, British dental journal, 159(9), pp. 298–299.
- Wang, Q. et al. (2011) ‘Evaluation of x-ray projection angulation for successful radix entomolaris diagnosis in mandibular first molars in vitro’, Journal of endodontia, 37(8), pp. 1063–1068.