Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
2 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College, Saveetha Institute Of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
Amalgam is a restorative material especially suitable for class I and class II restoration in teeth that encounter heavy chewing forces. Amalgam restorations may also present degradation in the intra oral environment due to secondary caries, fracture and marginal breakdown and wear. The aim of the study is the number of patients undergoing re restoration after class II amalgam. It is a retrospective study. Data collection was done and entered in the excel sheet. Parameters assessed were age, gender, teeth no. and re restoration after class II amalgam. The data collection was tabulated in excel and data analysis was done using SPSS software. The association between study variables was calculated using the chi-square test. The result showed 940 individuals with re restoration after class II amalgam. The frequency was seen to be 39.2%%. The chi square test showed positive correlation between gender and amalgam restoration (P value <0.05). It may be concluded that amalgam longevity is an important issue for patients, governments and dentists to define the court of dental treatment. The re-restoration and other types of local defect increases the longevity of the amalgam restoration.
- Allander, L., Birkhed, D. and Bratthall, D. (1990) ‘Reasons for replacement of Class II amalgam restorations in private practice’, Swedish dental journal, 14(4), pp. 179–184. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2255996.
- Anusavice, K. J. (1989) Quality evaluation of dental restorations: criteria for placement and replacement : proceedings of the International Symposium on Criteria for Placement and Replacement of Dental Restorations, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, October 19-21, 1987. Quintessence Pub Co. Available at: https://books.google.com/books/about/Quality_evaluation_of_dental_restoration.html?hl=&id=WTxqAAAAMAAJ.
- Arneberg, P., Silness, J. and Nordbo, H. (1980) ‘Marginal fit and cervical extent of class II amalgam restorations related to periodontal condition’, Journal of Periodontal Research, pp. 669–677. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0765.1980.tb00327.x.
- Brantley, C. F. et al. (1995) ‘DOES THE CYCLE OF RERESTORATION LEAD TO LARGER RESTORATIONS?’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 1407–1413. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.1995.0052.
- Dahl, J. E. and Eriksen, H. M. (1978) ‘Reasons for replacement of amalgam dental restorations’, European Journal of Oral Sciences, pp. 404–407. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0722.1978.tb00644.x.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730. doi: 10.1002/ddr.21571.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295. doi: 10.1097/ID.0000000000000885.
- Elderton, R. J. and Nuttall, N. M. (1983) ‘Variation among dentists in planning treatment’, British Dental Journal, pp. 201–206. doi: 10.1038/sj.bdj.4805041.
- Eriksen, H. M., Bjertness, E. and Hansen, B. F. (1986) ‘Cross-sectional clinical study of quality of amalgam restorations, oral health and prevalence of recurrent caries’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 15–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.1986.tb01486.x.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2018.03.002.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121. doi: 10.1111/jop.12806.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197. doi: 10.1016/j.hbpd.2018.04.003.
- Farah, J. W., Hood, J. A. and Craig, R. G. (1975) ‘Effects of cement bases on the stresses in amalgam restorations’, Journal of dental research, 54(1), pp. 10–15. doi: 10.1177/00220345750540010101.
- Friedl, K. H., Hiller, K. A. and Schmalz, G. (1994) ‘Placement and replacement of amalgam restorations in Germany’, Operative dentistry, 19(6), pp. 228–232. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9028243.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702. doi: 10.1177/0960327119839173.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Healey, H. J. and Phillips, R. W. (1949) ‘A Clinical Study of Amalgam Failures’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 439–446. doi: 10.1177/00220345490280050301.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534. doi: 10.1111/cid.12609.
- Kopperud, S. E. et al. (2012) ‘Longevity of posterior dental restorations and reasons for failure’, European Journal of Oral Sciences, pp. 539–548. doi: 10.1111/eos.12004.
- Mahler, D. B., Terkla, L. G. and Van Eysden, J. (1973) ‘Marginal Fracture of Amalgam Restorations’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 823–827. doi: 10.1177/00220345730520042901.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203. doi: 10.1155/2019/7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.05.028.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mjör, I. A. and Toffenetti, F. (1992) ‘Placement and replacement of amalgam restorations in Italy’, Operative dentistry, 17(2), pp. 70–73. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1437690.
- Mjör, I. A. and Um, C. M. (1993) ‘Survey of amalgam and composite restorations in Korea’, International dental journal, 43(4), pp. 311–316. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8276514.
- Moncada, G. et al. (2009) ‘Sealing, Refurbishment and Repair of Class I and Class II Defective Restorations’, The Journal of the American Dental Association, pp. 425–432. doi: 10.14219/jada.archive.2009.0191.
- Nasim, I. and Nandakumar, M. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 516. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_110_18.
- Özcan, M. et al. (2010) ‘Bond Strength Comparison of Amalgam Repair Protocols Using Resin Composite in Situations With and Without Dentin Exposure’, Operative Dentistry, pp. 655–662. doi: 10.2341/10-091-l.
- Özcan, M. et al. (2011) ‘Effects of Different Surface Conditioning Methods on the Bond Strength of Composite Resin to Amalgam’, Operative Dentistry, pp. 318–325. doi: 10.2341/10-294-l.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472. doi: 10.1007/s40368-019-00429-5.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_132_18.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95. doi: 10.1016/j.enzmictec.2018.06.009.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531. doi: 10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2019.111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550. doi: 10.1007/s00784-018-2775-5.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172. doi: 10.1016/j.sdentj.2019.02.037.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 41(2), pp. 78–87. doi: 10.1111/aej.12076.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248. doi: 10.1002/JPER.17-0445.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12348.
- Shaini, F. J. et al. (2001) ‘A comparison of the mechanical properties of a gallium-based alloy with a spherical high-copper amalgam’, Dental Materials, pp. 142–148. doi: 10.1016/s0109-5641(00)00054-3.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720. doi: 10.1016/j.cbi.2019.06.033.
- Shenoy, A. (2008) ‘Is it the end of the road for dental amalgam? A critical review’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 11(3), pp. 99–107. doi: 10.4103/0972-0707.45247.
- Solanki, G. (2012) ‘USES OF HIGH COPPER AMALGAM ALLOYS IN DENTISTRY’, International Journal of Biomedical and Advance Research. doi: 10.7439/ijbar.v3i2.351.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306. doi: 10.1111/jop.12835.
- Terashima, S. (1970) ‘Differentiation of the Two Layers of Carious Dentin by Staining’, THE JOURNAL OF THE STOMATOLOGICAL SOCIETY,JAPAN, pp. 279–286. doi: 10.5357/koubyou.37.279.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450. doi: 10.21815/JDE.019.054.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448. doi: 10.1002/JPER.18-0673.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59. doi: 10.1111/scd.12267.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.12.020.
- MOORE, D. L. & STEWART, J. L.: Prevalence of defective dental restorations. /. Prosthet. Dent. 1967: 17: 372-378.