Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
2 Senior Lecturer, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
Denture stomatitis is a common oral mucosal lesion occurring in mucosa underneath a denture. It is characterised by mild inflammation and erythema of oral mucosa covered by denture. Denture stomatitis have a negative impact on the general health and overall well-being of patients. Therefore, there is a need to understand the pattern of prevalence in age and gender in hopes to provide treatment for such lesions and prevent recurrence. The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of denture stomatitis among complete denture patients. The study includes adults, both males and females, who reported to Saveetha Dental College between June 2019 to March 2020. Inclusion criteria includes complete denture wearers. Patients below 18 years of age were excluded from the study. Among total data of 86000 patient records, 80 patient records were analysed and retrieved with the parameters such as patient’s age, patient’s gender and presence of denture stomatitis were collected. Datas were recorded in Microsoft Office Excel (2013) and analysed using SPSS software Version 26.0 and chi-square test was done to find out correlation between variables such as age group and gender. Significance test level was set at p<0.05. A total of 80 patients presented with existing complete dentures, which includes 44 females and 36 males. 13.8% were 21-40 years, 38.8% were 41-60 years and 47.5% were 61-80 years age group. 67.5% of patients presented with denture stomatitis. The highest prevalence of denture stomatitis was found in the age group 41-60 years (83.9%), followed by 21-40 years (81.8%) and 61-80 years (50%). Statistically significant difference was observed between age groups and denture stomatitis (p<0.05). Denture stomatitis was found in 70.5% of females and 63.9% of males but no significant difference was found between genders (p>0.05). Within the limits of this study, it was observed that there was high prevalence of denture stomatitis in complete denture patients with the age group between 41 to 60 years age group and in female patients.
- Complete denture
- completely edentulous
- Denture stomatitis
- denture stomatitis prevalence
- oral mucosal lesion
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of Surface Modifications on the Retention of Cement-retained Implant Crowns under Fatigue Loads: An In vitro Study’, Journal of pharmacy & bioallied sciences, 9(Suppl 1), pp. S154–S160.
- Arendorf, T. M. and Walker, D. M. (1987) ‘Denture stomatitis: a review’, Journal of oral rehabilitation, 14(3), pp. 217–227.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 14(Suppl 1), pp. 279–282.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1691–1693.
- Atashrazm, P. and Sadri, D. (2013) ‘Prevalence of oral mucosal lesions in a group of Iranian dependent elderly complete denture wearers’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 14(2), pp. 174–178.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- BUDTZ-JöRGENSEN, E. and LöE, H. (1972) ‘Chlorhexidine as a denture disinfectant in the treatment of denture stomatitis’, European Journal of Oral Sciences, pp. 457–464. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0722.1972.tb00314.x.
- CAWSON and A, R. (1963) ‘Denture sore mouth and angular cheilitis. Oral candidiasis in adults’, British dental journal, 115, pp. 441–449.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant–Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), p. 289.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Gendreau, L. and Loewy, Z. G. (2011) ‘Epidemiology and etiology of denture stomatitis’, Journal of prosthodontics: official journal of the American College of Prosthodontists, 20(4), pp. 251–260.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jeganathan, S. and Lin, C. C. (1992) ‘Denture stomatitis—a review of the aetiology, diagnosis and management’, Australian dental journal, 37(2), pp. 107–114.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal health status of three different groups wearing temporary partial denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 10(12), pp. 4339–4342.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 11(5), pp. 2121–2126.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- NEWTON and V, A. (1962) ‘Denture sore mouth’, British dental journal, 112, pp. 357–360.
- Nyquist, G. (1952) ‘A study of denture sore mouth; an investigation of traumatic, allergic and toxic lesions of the oral mucosa arising from the use of full dentures’, Acta odontologica Scandinavica. Supplementum, 10(9), pp. 1–154.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Petersen, P. E. (2003) ‘The World Oral Health Report 2003: continuous improvement of oral health in the 21st century--the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 31, pp. 3–24.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ranganathan, H., Ganapathy, D. M. and Jain, A. R. (2017) ‘Cervical and Incisal Marginal Discrepancy in Ceramic Laminate Veneering Materials: A SEM Analysis’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 8(2), pp. 272–278.
- Ritchie, G. M. et al. (1969) ‘The etiology, exfoliative cytology, and treatment of denture stomatitis’, The Journal of prosthetic dentistry, 22(2), pp. 185–200.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(10), pp. 1815–1818.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shimazaki, Y. et al. (2003) ‘Risk factors for tooth loss in the institutionalised elderly; a six-year cohort study’, Community dental health, 20(2), pp. 123–127.
- Smith, D. C. and Bains, M. E. (1956) ‘The detection and estimation of residual monomer in polymethyl methacrylate’, Journal of dental research, 35(1), pp. 16–24.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Others (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(5), pp. 609–612.
- Tucker, K. M. and Heget, H. S. (1976) ‘The incidence of inflammatory papillary hyperplasia’, Journal of the American Dental Association , 93(3), pp. 610–613.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vigild, M. (1987) ‘Oral mucosal lesions among institutionalized elderly in Denmark’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 15(6), pp. 309–313.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 9(11), pp. 2067–2070.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Zissis, A., Yannikakis, S. and Harrison, A. (2006) ‘Comparison of denture stomatitis prevalence in 2 population groups’, The International journal of prosthodontics, 19(6), pp. 621–625.