Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-600077, Tamil Nadu, India.
2 Senior lecturer, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai-600077, Tamil Nadu, India.
Advances in preventive dentistry are not unknown to mankind despite that , edentulism is a major public health issue worldwide. Edentulism has been hallmarked as “final marker of disease burden for oral health.” The objective of the present study is to determine the relationship between socio-demographic variables and partial edentulism. A Cross-sectional, descriptive study was conducted in an institution, on randomly selected individuals. The study group consisted of adult patients who attended the outpatient Department of Prosthodontics from June 2019- March 2020.Data collection was done by using college database and Chi-square test and frequency analysis was used to explore the relationship between two variables Males had more missing teeth in general compared to females.Males had more missing teeth in upper anterior region than females.Females had more missing teeth in upper posterior region.Males had more missing teeth in lower anterior region compared to females.Females had more missing teeth in lower posterior region.Age group(31-40) years had more missing teeth over all. Upper anteriors were more missing in Age group(31-40) years.Upper posteriors were more missing in Age group(31-40) years.Lower anteriors were more missing in Age group(31-40) years.Lower posterior were more missing in Age group(31-40) years.In general anterior teeth were more missing in males compared to posterior teeth which were more missing in females.Age group(31-40) years is more prone to missing teeth in partial edentulous cases. There was an increase in the number of missing teeth as the age advances.More awareness is needed among the population in order to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Abdel-Rahman, H., Tahir, C. and Saleh, M. (2013) ‘Incidence of partial edentulism and its relation with age and gender’, Zanco Journal of Medical Sciences, pp. 463–470. doi: 10.15218/zjms.2013.0033.
- Abdurahiman, V. T., Abdul Khader, M. and Jolly, S. J. (2013) ‘Frequency of Partial Edentulism and Awareness to Restore the Same: A Cross Sectional Study in the Age Group of 18–25 Years Among Kerala Student Population’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 461–465. doi: 10.1007/s13191-012-0246-2.
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study’, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences, p. 154. doi: 10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17.
- Akinboboye, B., Azodo, C. and Soroye, M. (2014) ‘Partial edentulism and unmet prosthetic needs amongst young adult Nigeria’, Odonto-stomatologie tropicale = Tropical dental journal, 37(145), pp. 47–52.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, pp. 279–282. doi: 10.1007/s13191-013-0339-6.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1691. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00340.1.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Batista, M. J., Rihs, L. B. and Sousa, M. da L. R. de (2012) ‘Risk indicators for tooth loss in adult workers’, Brazilian oral research, 26(5), pp. 390–396.
- Cunha-Cruz, J., Hujoel, P. P. and Nadanovsky, P. (2007) ‘Secular trends in socio-economic disparities in edentulism: USA, 1972-2001’, Journal of dental research, 86(2), pp. 131–136.
- Curtis, D. A. et al. (1992) ‘Incidence of various classes of removable partial dentures’, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, pp. 664–667. doi: 10.1016/0022-3913(92)90167-9.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- D′Souza, K. and Aras, M. (2014) ‘Association between socio-demographic variables and partial edentulism in the Goan population: An epidemiological study in India’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 434. doi: 10.4103/0970-9290.142519.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Esan, T. A. et al. (2004) ‘Socio-demographic factors and edentulism: the Nigerian experience’, BMC Oral Health. doi: 10.1186/1472-6831-4-3.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gilbert, G. H. et al. (1999) ‘Tooth-specific and person-level predictors of 24-month tooth loss among older adults’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 27(5), pp. 372–385.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jain, A., Ranganathan, H. and Ganapathy, D. (2017) ‘Cervical and incisal marginal discrepancy in ceramic laminate veneering materials: A SEM analysis’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 272. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_156_17.
- Jaleel, B. F. et al. (2014) ‘Risk indicators associated with tooth loss among Indian adults’, Oral health and dental management, 13(2), pp. 170–178.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Johnson, N. W., Glick, M. and Mbuguye, T. N. L. (2006) ‘(A2) Oral Health and General Health’, Advances in Dental Research, pp. 118–121. doi: 10.1177/154407370601900122.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4339. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2121. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00393.1.
- Lin, H. C. et al. (2001) ‘Tooth loss, occluding pairs, and prosthetic status of Chinese adults’, Journal of dental research, 80(5), pp. 1491–1495.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manchikalapudi, D. G. et al. (2017) ‘Attitude of partial denture wearers towards implant treatment and its association with oral hygiene status, age, gender and extent of edentulousness – A cross sectional study’, International Journal of Applied Dental Sciences, pp. 16–20. doi: 10.22271/oral.2017.v3.i4a.03.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- McGarry, T. J. et al. (2002) ‘Classification system for partial edentulism’, Journal of prosthodontics: official journal of the American College of Prosthodontists, 11(3), pp. 181–193.
- Medina-Solís, C. E. et al. (2006) ‘Edentulism among Mexican adults aged 35 years and older and associated factors’, American journal of public health, 96(9), pp. 1578–1581.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Niarchou, A. P. et al. (2011) ‘Partial edentulism and removable partial denture design in a dental school population: a survey in Greece’, Gerodontology, pp. 177–183. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00382.x.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabhu, N. et al. (2009) ‘Partial edentulousness in a rural population based on Kennedy′s classification: An epidemiological study’, The Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, p. 18. doi: 10.4103/0972-4052.52869.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Reddy, N. S. et al. (2012) ‘Epidemiological survey on edentulousness’, The journal of contemporary dental practice, 13(4), pp. 562–570.
- Sadig, W. M. and Idowu, A. T. (2002) ‘Removable Partial Denture Design: A Study of a Selected Population in Saudi Arabia’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 40–53. doi: 10.5005/jcdp-3-4-40.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sapkota, B., Adhikari, B. and Upadhaya, C. (2015) ‘A Study of Assessment of Partial Edentulous Patients Based on Kennedy’s Classification at Dhulikhel Hospital Kathmandu University Hospital’, Kathmandu University Medical Journal, pp. 325–327. doi: 10.3126/kumj.v11i4.12542.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1815. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00369.3.
- Shamdol, Z. et al. (2008) ‘Prevalence and Associated Factors of Edentulism among Elderly Muslims in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia’, Journal of the Islamic Medical Association of North America. doi: 10.5915/40-4-4431.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Shimazaki, Y. et al. (2001) ‘Influence of Dentition Status on Physical Disability, Mental Impairment, and Mortality in Institutionalized Elderly People’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 340–345. doi: 10.1177/00220345010800010801.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Teófilo, L. T. and Leles, C. R. (2007) ‘Patients’ self-perceived impacts and prosthodontic needs at the time and after tooth loss’, Brazilian dental journal, 18(2), pp. 91–96.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2067. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.