Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha university ,Chennai, India
2 Senior Lecturer, Department of Periodontics, Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India
3 Reader, Department of Oral Medicine, Saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha university, Chennai, India
Periodontitis is an infectious inflammatory disease that is caused by the bacteria of dental plaque resulting in the progressive destruction of the tissue supporting the teeth, that is gingival, periodontal ligament, cementum and the alveolar bone. The progression of the disease is accelerated by tobacco consumption. The aim of this study is to find the pattern of tooth mobility in smokers and non smokers. This retrospective study was conducted in a Private dental college, chennai. The sample size was 100, with 50 smokers and 50 non smokers. The data was collected from the hospital digital database. It was observed that tooth mobility in smokers was prevalent in the posterior region (16%) (p<0.05) and in the maxilla and both the jaws (11% & 23% respectively). Tooth mobility in smokers was commonly seen in the posterior region of maxilla (10%) and anterior region of mandible (20%) for which the P value was found to be statistically significant (<0.05). For non-smokers, there was an increased tooth mobility observed in the anterior region of the mandible (34%) for which the P value was found to be statistically significant (<0.05). Within the limits of the study, it can be concluded that smoking causes increased periodontal destruction to the surrounding tissues, with tooth mobility and loss commonly observed in the posterior regions of maxilla and posterior region in both the jaws. Thus, Progression of disease can be prevented by early diagnosis and by tobacco cessation programmes.
- Ahlqwist, M. et al. (1989) ‘Smoking habits and tooth loss in Swedish women’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 17(3), pp. 144–147.
- Arigbede, A., Babatope, B. and Bamidele, M. (2012) ‘Periodontitis and systemic diseases: A literature review’, Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, p. 487. doi: 10.4103/0972-124x.106878.
- Avinash, K. and Malaippan, S. (2017) ‘Methods of isolation and characterization of stem cells from different regions of oral cavity using markers: a systematic review’, International journal of. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5488772/.
- Axelsson, P. and Lindhe, J. (1978) ‘Effect of controlled oral hygiene procedures on caries and periodontal disease in adults’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 5(2), pp. 133–151.
- BERGSTROM and J (2006) ‘Periodontitis and smoking : an evidence-based appraisal’, The journal of evidence-based dental practice, 6, pp. 33–41.
- Bergström, J., Eliasson, S. and Preber, H. (1991) ‘Cigarette smoking and periodontal bone loss’, Journal of periodontology. Available at: https://aap.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Fure, S. and Zickert, I. (1997) ‘Incidence of tooth loss and dental caries in 60‐, 70‐and 80‐year‐old Swedish individuals’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology. Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00911.x.
- Gajendran, P., Parthasarathy, H. and Tadepalli, A. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of cathepsin K levels in gingival crevicular fluid among smoking and nonsmoking patients with chronic periodontitis’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 588. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_95_17.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Glargia, M. and Lindhe, J. (1997) ‘Tooth mobility and periodontal Disease’, Journal of Clinical Periodontology, pp. 785–795. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-051x.1997.tb01190.x.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Kavarthapu, A. and Thamaraiselvan, M. (2018) ‘Assessing the variation in course and position of inferior alveolar nerve among south Indian population: A cone beam computed tomographic study’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research, 29(4), p. 405.
- Khalid, W., Vargheese, S. S. and Lakshmanan, R. (2016) ‘Role of endothelin-1 in periodontal diseases: A structured review’, Indian journal of dental research: official publication of Indian Society for Dental Research. Available at: http://www.ijdr.in/tocd.asp?2016/27/3/323/186247/3.
- Khalid, W., Varghese, S. S. and Sankari, M. (2017) ‘Comparison of serum levels of endothelin-1 in chronic periodontitis patients before and after treatment’, Journal of clinical and. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5449924/.
- Löe, H. et al. (1978) ‘The Natural History of Periodontal Disease in Man: The Rate of Periodontal Destruction Before 40 Years of Age’, Journal of periodontology, 49(12), pp. 607–620.
- Luzzi, L. I. T. et al. (2007) ‘Evaluation of clinical periodontal conditions in smokers and non-smokers’, Journal of applied oral science: revista FOB, 15(6), pp. 512–517.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Mootha, A. et al. (2016) ‘The Effect of Periodontitis on Expression of Interleukin-21: A Systematic Review’, International journal of inflammation, 2016. doi: 10.1155/2016/3507503.
- Mühlemann, H. R. (1954) ‘Tooth Mobility: The Measuring Method. Initial and Secondary Tooth Mobility’, Journal of periodontology, 25(1), pp. 22–29.
- Mühlemann, H. R., Savdir, S. and Rateitschak, K. H. (1965) ‘Tooth Mobility — Its Causes and Significance’, Journal of Periodontology, pp. 148–153. doi: 10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.52.
- Mullally, B. H. and Linden, G. J. (1996) ‘Molar furcation involvement associated with cigarette smoking in periodontal referrals’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 23(7), pp. 658–661.
- Newman, M. G. (2007) ‘Classification and epidemiology of periodontal diseases. Carraza’s Clinical Periodontology’. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Company.
- Palmer, R. M. et al. (2005) ‘Mechanisms of action of environmental factors--tobacco smoking’, Journal of clinical periodontology, 32, pp. 180–195.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Panda, S., Jayakumar, N. D. and Sankari, M. (2014) ‘Platelet rich fibrin and xenograft in treatment of intrabony defect’, Contemporary clinical. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4229771/.
- Pankaj et al. (2007) ‘Assessment of periodontal status and loss of teeth among smokers and non- smokers in Belgaum city’, Indian Journal of Community Medicine, p. 75. doi: 10.4103/0970-0218.53413.
- Papapanou, P. N. (1996) ‘Periodontal Diseases: Epidemiology’, Annals of Periodontology, pp. 1–36. doi: 10.1902/annals.19184.108.40.206.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Pihlstrom, B. L. (2001) ‘Periodontal risk assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning’, Periodontology 2000, pp. 37–58. doi: 10.1034/j.1600-0757.2001.22250104.x.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Priyanka, S., Kaarthikeyan, G. and Nadathur, J. D. (2017) ‘Detection of cytomegalovirus, Epstein–Barr virus, and Torque Teno virus in subgingival and atheromatous plaques of cardiac patients with chronic …’, Journal of Indian. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846241/.
- Rai, B., Kaur, J. and Kharb, S. (2009) ‘Pregnancy gingivitis and periodontitis and its systemic effect’, The Internet Journal of Dental Science, 6(2).
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2016) ‘Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and periodontitis--unwinding their linking mechanisms’, Journal of oral biosciences / JAOB, Japanese Association for Oral Biology, 58(1), pp. 23–26.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ramesh, A., Ravi, S. and Kaarthikeyan, G. (2017) ‘Comprehensive rehabilitation using dental implants in generalized aggressive periodontitis’, Journal of Indian Society of. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5771115/.
- Ramesh, A., Varghese, S. S. and Doraiswamy, J. N. (2016) ‘Herbs as an antioxidant arsenal for periodontal diseases’, Journal of. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4805154/.
- Ramesh, A., Vellayappan, R. and Ravi, S. (2019) ‘Esthetic lip repositioning: A cosmetic approach for correction of gummy smile–A case series’, Journal of Indian. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6519099/.
- Ravi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Additive Effect of Plasma Rich in Growth Factors With Guided Tissue Regeneration in Treatment of Intrabony Defects in Patients With Chronic Periodontitis: A Split-Mouth Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial’, Journal of Periodontology, pp. 839–845. doi: 10.1902/jop.2017.160824.
- Razali, M. et al. (2005) ‘A retrospective study of periodontal disease severity in smokers and non-smokers’, British dental journal, 198(8), pp. 495–498.
- Salvi, G. E. et al. (1997) ‘Influence of risk factors on the pathogenesis of periodontitis’, Periodontology 2000, pp. 173–201. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00197.x.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Smith, S. et al. (2019) ‘VERTICAL RADIOGRAPHIC ALVEOLAR BONE LOSS IN SMOKERS AND NON-SMOKERS WITH PERIODONTITIS: A PILOT STUDY’, Pakistan Oral & Dental Journal, 39(4), pp. 317–324.
- Sreedevi, M., Ramesh, A. and Dwarakanath, C. (2012) ‘Periodontal Status in Smokers and Nonsmokers: A Clinical, Microbiological, and Histopathological Study’, International journal of dentistry, 2012. doi: 10.1155/2012/571590.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Thangakumaran, S., Gadagi, J. S. and Arthie, T. (2015) ‘Comparative clinical evaluation of coronally advanced flap with or without platelet rich fibrin membrane in the treatment of isolated gingival recession’, Journal of Indian. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4365161/.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Varghese, S. S., Thomas, H. and Jayakumar, N. D. (2015) ‘Estimation of salivary tumor necrosis factor-alpha in chronic and aggressive periodontitis patients’, Contemporary clinical. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4632215/.
- Velidandla, S. et al. (2019) ‘Distribution of Periodontal Pockets Among Smokers and Nonsmokers in Patients with Chronic Periodontitis: A Cross-sectional Study’, Cureus. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6820887/.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.