Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College & Hospitals, Saveetha institute of medical and technical sciences, Chennai-77, India
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College & Hospitals, Saveetha institute of medical and technical sciences, Chennai-77, India
3 Reader, Department of prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College & Hospitals, Saveetha institute of medical and technical sciences, Chennai-77, India
Dental fluorosis is recognized as an oral health disease of public health importance by the WHO.Dental fluorosis results in poor esthetic appearance which may have a psychological bearing and lead to low confidence. In today’s competitive world, these factors have gained much importance.To assess the incidence of fluorosis patients in young adults underwent routine dental check up with regards to age and gender. This is a descriptive clinical study carried out in saveetha Dental college and hospitals, Poonamallee chennai which was conducted using the patient record from the Department of Endodontics. Sample data has been collected from reviewing the case record of patients who visited clinics for dental checkup. All the patients who suspected fluorosis and who came for routine dental check up were selected for assessment of DF, Deans fluorosis index is used. Totalof 283 patients,69.1% were male and 30.9% were female.Mean age between 20-30 years of age group and the mild fluorosis is higher in percentage about 46.5%. In moderate fluorosis, P value is 0.03 which was statistically significant compared to other types of fluorosis and the male predilection is more compared to females. Within limits of the study,mild fluorosis is present more compared to Dean’s fluorosis index and male preditection is more. It is necessary to conduct a community based programme to determine other factors that may contribute to its occurrence in this population.
- Adanir, N., Türkkahraman, H. and Güngör, A. Y. (2007) ‘Effects of fluorosis and bleaching on shear bond strengths of orthodontic brackets’, European journal of dentistry, 1(4), pp. 230–235.
- Bhagavatula, P. et al. (2018) ‘The relationships between fluoride intake levels and fluorosis of late-erupting permanent teeth’, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, pp. 165–174. doi: 10.1111/jphd.12260.
- Browne, D. et al. (2011) ‘The aesthetic impact of enamel fluorosis on Irish adolescents’, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, pp. 127–136. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0528.2010.00577.x.
- Chandrasekar, R. et al. (2020) ‘Development and validation of a formula for objective assessment of cervical vertebral bone age’, Progress in orthodontics, 21(1), p. 38.
- Chandu, G. N. et al. (2009) ‘Prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis among 13- to 15-year-old school children of an area known for endemic fluorosis: Nalgonda district of Andhra Pradesh’, Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, p. 190. doi: 10.4103/0970-4388.57651.
- Chauhan, D. et al. (2012) ‘A study of prevalence and severity of dental fluorosis among school children in a Northern hilly state of India’, SRM Journal of Research in Dental Sciences, p. 170. doi: 10.4103/0976-433x.107395.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Derryberry, O. M., Bartholomew, M. D. and Fleming, R. B. L. (1963) ‘Fluoride Exposure and Worker Health’, Archives of Environmental Health: An International Journal, pp. 503–514. doi: 10.1080/00039896.1963.10663433.
- Do, L. G., Ha, D. H. and Spencer, A. J. (2016) ‘Natural history and long-term impact of dental fluorosis: a prospective cohort study’, The Medical journal of Australia, 204(1), p. 25.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Erdal, S. and Buchanan, S. N. (2005) ‘A Quantitative Look at Fluorosis, Fluoride Exposure, and Intake in Children Using a Health Risk Assessment Approach’, Environmental Health Perspectives, pp. 111–117. doi: 10.1289/ehp.7077.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Idon, P. I. and Enabulele, J. E. (2018) ‘Prevalence, severity, and request for treatment of dental fluorosis among adults in an endemic region of Northern Nigeria’, European Journal of Dentistry, pp. 184–190. doi: 10.4103/ejd.ejd_260_17.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Koch, R. (1984) ‘Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality, Volume I — Recommendations. Geneva, World Health Organization, 1982’, Acta Hydrochimica et Hydrobiologica, pp. 221–223. doi: 10.1002/aheh.19840120217.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Manohar, M. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 716. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_716_16.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary molars: Randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, pp. 1–6.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Montelius, G., McIntosh, J. F. and Ma, Y. C. (1933) ‘Chemical Investigations of Mottled Enamel and Brown Stain’, Journal of Dental Research, pp. 73–79. doi: 10.1177/00220345330130010601.
- Nandakumar, M. and Nasim, I. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(5), pp. 516–520.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- National Research Council et al. (2007) Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA’s Standards. National Academies Press.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Patturaja, K. and Pradeep, D. (2016) ‘Awareness of Basic Dental Procedure among General Population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1349. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00258.4.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Srisakthi, D. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Prabakar, J., John, J., Arumugham, I. M., Kumar, R. P. and Sakthi, D. S. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of the Viscosity and Length of Resin Tags of Conventional and Hydrophilic Pit and Fissure Sealants on Permanent Molars: An Study’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(3), pp. 388–394.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian Endodontic Journal, pp. 78–87. doi: 10.1111/aej.12076.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ranganathan, H., Ganapathy, D. M. and Jain, A. R. (2017) ‘Cervical and Incisal Marginal Discrepancy in Ceramic Laminate Veneering Materials: A SEM Analysis’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 8(2), pp. 272–278.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- R, H. et al. (2020) ‘CYP2 C9 polymorphism among patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma and its role in altering the metabolism of benzo[a]pyrene’, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology, pp. 306–312. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2020.06.021.
- Rigo, L., Lodi, L. and Garbin, R. R. (2015) ‘Differential diagnosis of dental fluorosis made by undergraduate dental students’, Einstein (São Paulo), pp. 547–554. doi: 10.1590/s1679-45082015ao3472.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Samuel, S. R. (2021) ‘Can 5-year-olds sensibly self-report the impact of developmental enamel defects on their quality of life?’, International journal of paediatric dentistry / the British Paedodontic Society [and] the International Association of Dentistry for Children, 31(2), pp. 285–286.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Sandhya, R. and Janani, K. (2019) ‘A survey on skills for cone beam computed tomography interpretation among endodontists for endodontic treatment procedure’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 834. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_289_18.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Siddique, R. et al. (2019) ‘Qualitative and quantitative analysis of precipitate formation following interaction of chlorhexidine with sodium hypochlorite, neem, and tulsi’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 22(1), pp. 40–47.
- S, M. P. et al. (2017) ‘Knowledge and awareness of partial edentulism in rural population (kancheepuram) - a survey’, International Journal of Recent Scientific Research, pp. 16578–16580. doi: 10.24327/ijrsr.2017.0804.0176.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Teja, K. V. and Ramesh, S. (2019) ‘Shape optimal and clean more’, Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p. 235.
- Teja, K. V., Ramesh, S. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of conservative dentistry: JCD, 21(6), pp. 592–596.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J., Smiline Girija, A. S. and Paramasivam, A. (2018) ‘In silico analysis of virulence genes in an emerging dental pathogen A. baumannii and related species’, Archives of oral biology, 94, pp. 93–98.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Whelton, H. P. et al. (2004) ‘A review of fluorosis in the European Union: prevalence, risk factors and aesthetic issues’, Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, 32 Suppl 1, pp. 9–18.
- Yadav, R., Yadav, A. and Oberoi, S. S. (2014) ‘Knowledge, Attitude and Aesthetic Perceptions about Dental Fluorosis among 12-15 Years Old Government School Children in Farukh Nagar, Haryana’, Journal of Oral Health and Community Dentistry, pp. 1–5. doi: 10.5005/johcd-8-1-1.
- Yang, J. and He, W. (2019) Chronic Kidney Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. Springer Nature.