Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical And Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
2 Reader, Department of Conservative dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical And Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
3 Senior lecturer, Department of Conservative dentistry and Endodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical And Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai, India.
The success of vital pulp therapy techniques is considerably dependent on the technique employed,the inflammatory status of the pulp tissue,the type of pulp therapy agent used and period of observation. The commonly used agents are calcium hydroxide ,Resin modified glass ionomer cement and mineral trioxide aggregate. The permanent restoration following the pulp capping plays a very crucial role in the success of the treatment. The commonly used restorations are composites,amalgam and bilayered restoration.The aim of this study was to assess the type of base materials in pulp capping and its influence on permanent restoration.A cross sectional study done at Saveetha Dental College with the sample size of 69 was analysed. The factors like age ,gender,base material ,type of teeth and permanent restoration were assessed. The P value of less than 0.05 was considered to be significant.Result of type of base material showed,Calcium hydroxide >Calcium hydroxide +Resin modified glass ionomer cement >Bio aggregate material and the permanent restoration showed Composite >Bilayered restoration > Amalgam.The statistical analysis showed the p value =0.338( >0.05) ,which implies that there is no significant association between the type of base material with the type of permanent restoration.The current study showed that calcium hydroxide and composite restoration were the preferred options of base material and permanent restoration respectively.But with recent advances it has been proved that Bioaggregate material has better properties than calcium hydroxide ,which is no longer a gold standard material.
- Calcium hydroxide
- pulp capping
- Resin modified glass ionomer cement, innovative
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- American Association of Endodontists (2003) Glossary of endodontic terms.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Burke, F. J. T. (2012) ‘Ozone and caries: a review of the literature’, Dental update, 39(4), pp. 271–2, 275–8.
- Büyükgüral, B. and Cehreli, Z. C. (2008) ‘Effect of different adhesive protocols vs calcium hydroxide on primary tooth pulp with different remaining dentin thicknesses:24-month results’, Clinical oral investigations, 12(1), pp. 91–96.
- Calişkan, M. K. (1995) ‘Pulpotomy of carious vital teeth with periapical involvement’, International endodontic journal, 28(3), pp. 172–176.
- Camilleri, J. and Pitt Ford, T. R. (2006) ‘Mineral trioxide aggregate: a review of the constituents and biological properties of the material’, International endodontic journal, 39(10), pp. 747–754.
- Chen, L. and Suh, B. I. (2017) ‘Cytotoxicity and biocompatibility of resin-free and resin-modified direct pulp capping materials: A state-of-the-art review’, Dental Materials Journal, pp. 1–7. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2016-107.
- Cho, S.-Y. et al. (2013) ‘Prognostic Factors for Clinical Outcomes According to Time after Direct Pulp Capping’, Journal of Endodontics, pp. 327–331. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2012.11.034.
- Dammaschke, T., Leidinger, J. and Schäfer, E. (2010) ‘Long-term evaluation of direct pulp capping—treatment outcomes over an average period of 6.1 years’, Clinical Oral Investigations, pp. 559–567. doi: 10.1007/s00784-009-0326-9.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Erdemli, O. et al. (2010) ‘In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the effects of demineralized bone matrix or calcium sulfate addition to polycaprolactone–bioglass composites’, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, pp. 295–308. doi: 10.1007/s10856-009-3862-6.
- Goldberg, M., Lasfargues, J. J. and Legrand, J. M. (1994) ‘Clinical testing of dental materials— histological considerations’, Journal of Dentistry, pp. S25–S28. doi: 10.1016/0300-5712(94)90036-1.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Hargreaves, K. M., Cohen, S. and Berman, L. H. (2011) ‘Preface’, Cohen’s Pathways of the Pulp, p. ix. doi: 10.1016/b978-0-323-06489-7.00034-5.
- Janani, K., Palanivelu, A. and Sandhya, R. (2020) ‘Diagnostic accuracy of dental pulse oximeter with customized sensor holder, thermal test and electric pulp test for the evaluation of pulp vitality - An in vivo study’, Brazilian Dental Science. doi: 10.14295/bds.2020.v23i1.1805.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- Jose, J., P., A. and Subbaiyan, H. (2020) ‘Different Treatment Modalities followed by Dental Practitioners for Ellis Class 2 Fracture – A Questionnaire-based Survey’, The Open Dentistry Journal, pp. 59–65. doi: 10.2174/1874210602014010059.
- Katge, F. A. and Patil, D. P. (2017) ‘Comparative Analysis of 2 Calcium Silicate–based Cements (Biodentine and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate) as Direct Pulp-capping Agent in Young Permanent Molars: A Split Mouth Study’, Journal of Endodontics, pp. 507–513. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2016.11.026.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Koc-Vural, U. et al. (2017) ‘Bond strength of dental nanocomposites repaired with a bulkfill composite’, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry, pp. 0–0. doi: 10.4317/jced.53501.
- Kumar, D. and Delphine Priscilla Antony, S. (2018) ‘Calcified Canal and Negotiation-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3727. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00683.2.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Li, Z. et al. (2015) ‘Direct Pulp Capping with Calcium Hydroxide or Mineral Trioxide Aggregate: A Meta-analysis’, Journal of Endodontics, pp. 1412–1417. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2015.04.012.
- Manohar, M. and Sharma, S. (2018) ‘A survey of the knowledge, attitude, and awareness about the principal choice of intracanal medicaments among the general dental practitioners and nonendodontic specialists’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 716. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_716_16.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- do Nascimento, A. B. et al. (2000) ‘Biocompatibility of a resin-modified glass-ionomer cement applied as pulp capping in human teeth’, American journal of dentistry, 13(1), pp. 28–34.
- Nasim, I. et al. (2018) ‘Clinical performance of resin-modified glass ionomer cement, flowable composite, and polyacid-modified resin composite in noncarious cervical lesions: One-year follow-up’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 510. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_51_18.
- Nasim, I. and Nandakumar, M. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of grape seed and cranberry extracts in preventing enamel erosion: An optical emission spectrometric analysis’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 516. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_110_18.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Noor, S. S. S. E., S Syed Shihaab and Pradeep (2016) ‘Chlorhexidine: Its properties and effects’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1755. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00353.x.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ramamoorthi, S., Nivedhitha, M. S. and Divyanand, M. J. (2015) ‘Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after using endodontic needle and EndoActivator during root canal irrigation: A randomised controlled trial’, Australian Endodontic Journal, pp. 78–87. doi: 10.1111/aej.12076.
- Ramanathan, S. and Solete, P. (2015) ‘Cone-beam Computed Tomography Evaluation of Root Canal Preparation using Various Rotary Instruments: An in vitro Study’, The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, pp. 869–872. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10024-1773.
- Ramesh, S., Teja, K. and Priya, V. (2018) ‘Regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-3 gene expression in inflammation: A molecular study’, Journal of Conservative Dentistry, p. 592. doi: 10.4103/jcd.jcd_154_18.
- Ravinthar, K. and Jayalakshmi (2018) ‘Recent Advancements in Laminates and Veneers in Dentistry’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 785. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00148.8.
- Rosa, W. L. O. da et al. (2018) ‘Current trends and future perspectives of dental pulp capping materials: A systematic review’, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, pp. 1358–1368. doi: 10.1002/jbm.b.33934.
- R, R., Rajakeerthi, R. and Ms, N. (2019) ‘Natural Product as the Storage medium for an avulsed tooth – A Systematic Review’, Cumhuriyet Dental Journal, pp. 249–256. doi: 10.7126/cumudj.525182.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Schwendicke, F., Brouwer, F. and Stolpe, M. (2015) ‘Calcium Hydroxide versus Mineral Trioxide Aggregate for Direct Pulp Capping: A Cost-effectiveness Analysis’, Journal of Endodontics, pp. 1969–1974. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2015.08.019.
- Siddique, R. and Jayalakshmi, S. (2019) ‘Assessment of Precipitate Formation on Interaction of Chlorhexidine with Sodium Hypochlorite, Neem, Aloevera and Garlic: An in vitro Study’, Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development, p. 3648. doi: 10.5958/0976-5506.2019.04155.x.
- Soleiman, B. N. et al. (2015) ‘Pulp Therapy for Primary and Immature Permanent Teeth in Children: Review of Literature’, Iranian Journal of Pediatric Dentistry, pp. 107–116. doi: 10.29252/ijpd.10.2.107.
- Torabinejad, M., Parirokh, M. and Dummer, P. M. H. (2018) ‘Mineral trioxide aggregate and other bioactive endodontic cements: an updated overview - part II: other clinical applications and complications’, International endodontic journal, 51(3), pp. 284–317.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Ward, J. (2002) ‘Vital pulp therapy in cariously exposed permanent teeth and its limitations’, Australian endodontic journal: the journal of the Australian Society of Endodontology Inc, 28(1), pp. 29–37.
- Waterhouse, P. J. et al. (2008) ‘Primary molar pulp therapy - histological evaluation of failure’, International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 313–321. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-263x.2000.00211.x.
- Willershausen, B. et al. (2011) ‘Retrospective study on direct pulp capping with calcium hydroxide’, Quintessence international , 42(2), pp. 165–171.
- Teja, K.V. and Ramesh, S., 2019. Shape optimal and clean more. Saudi Endodontic Journal, 9(3), p.235.