Document Type : Research Article
1 Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute Of Medical And Technical Science Saveetha University ,162,Poonamallee High Road, Chennai, India
2 Senior Lecturer, Department Of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute Of Medical And Technical Science, Saveetha University, 162,Poonamallee High Road, Chennai, India
3 Senior Lecturer, Department Of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals,Saveetha Institute Of Medical And Technical Science, Saveetha University, 162,Poonamallee High Road, Chennai, India
The aim of this study is to radiographically evaluate the permanent canine development based on nollas stage of tooth development in 6 to 8 year old male children. A total of about 400 orthopantamograhic (OPG) images were collected from the database record of the dental institution between June 2019-March 2020. Of these 51 OPGs were selected based on the age group between 6-8 years old male children. Dental age of developing permanent canine was calculated based on the nollas method. After data collection statistical analysis was done in SPSS software. Among the study population 47.1% were 8 years old, 45.10% were 7 years old and 7.84% were 6 years old. Considering the distribution of teeth assessed 31.37% were 13, 31.37% were 43, 21.57% were 33 and 15.69% were 23. Within the limitations of the study it was concluded that, majority of the canine teeth assessed among 6 to 8 years old children had canine almost completed (Stage 5) or crown completed (Stage 6) according to Nollas stage of tooth development. All the children in the age group of 6 years had 2/3rd crown completed in canine (Stage 4). Majority of the children in the age group of 7 years and 8 years had ‘crown almost completed’ (Stage 5).
- Abdul Wahab, P. U. et al. (2017) ‘Risk Factors for Post-operative Infection Following Single Piece Osteotomy’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 328–332.
- Ashok, B. S., Ajith, T. A. and Sivanesan, S. (2017) ‘Hypoxia-inducible factors as neuroprotective agent in Alzheimer’s disease’, Clinical and experimental pharmacology & physiology, 44(3), pp. 327–334.
- Christabel, S. L. and Gurunathan, D. (2015) ‘Prevalence of type of frenal attachment and morphology of frenum in children, Chennai, Tamil Nadu’, World J Dent, 6(4), pp. 203–207.
- Danda, A. K. (2010) ‘Comparison of a single noncompression miniplate versus 2 noncompression miniplates in the treatment of mandibular angle fractures: a prospective, randomized clinical trial’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 68(7), pp. 1565–1567.
- Demirjian, A., Goldstein, H. and Tanner, J. M. (1973) ‘A new system of dental age assessment’, Human biology, 45(2), pp. 211–227.
- Devi, V. S. and Gnanavel, B. K. (2014) ‘Properties of Concrete Manufactured Using Steel Slag’, Procedia Engineering, 97, pp. 95–104.
- Eapen, B. V., Baig, M. F. and Avinash, S. (2017) ‘An Assessment of the Incidence of Prolonged Postoperative Bleeding After Dental Extraction Among Patients on Uninterrupted Low Dose Aspirin Therapy and to Evaluate the Need to Stop Such Medication Prior to Dental Extractions’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(1), pp. 48–52.
- Falkner, F. (1957) ‘Deciduous tooth eruption’, Archives of disease in childhood, 32(165), pp. 386–391.
- ‘Fluoride, Fluoridated Toothpaste Efficacy And Its Safety In Children - Review’ (2018) International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 10(04). doi: 10.31838/ijpr/2018.10.04.017.
- Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T. and Ranganathan, S. (2012) ‘Modeling and Optimization of EDM Process Parameters on Machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC Using RSM’, Procedia Engineering, 38, pp. 685–690.
- Govindaraju, L. and Gurunathan, D. (2017) ‘Effectiveness of Chewable Tooth Brush in Children-A Prospective Clinical Study’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), pp. ZC31–ZC34.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. (2017) ‘Clinical Evaluation of Quality of Obturation and Instrumentation Time using Two Modified Rotary File Systems with Manual Instrumentation in Primary Teeth’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), pp. ZC55–ZC58.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017a) ‘Comparison of quality of obturation and instrumentation time using hand files and two rotary file systems in primary molars: A single-blinded randomized controlled trial’, European journal of dentistry, 11(03), pp. 376–379.
- Govindaraju, L., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017b) ‘Knowledge and practice of rotary instrumentation in primary teeth among indian dentists: A questionnaire survey’, Journal of International Oral Health, 9(2), p. 45.
- Govindaraju, L., Neelakantan, P. and Gutmann, J. L. (2017) ‘Effect of root canal irrigating solutions on the compressive strength of tricalcium silicate cements’, Clinical oral investigations, 21(2), pp. 567–571.
- Gurunathan, D. and Shanmugaavel, A. K. (2016) ‘Dental neglect among children in Chennai’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 34(4), pp. 364–369.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- JeevananDan, G. S. (2017) ‘Kedo-S paediatric rotary files for root canal preparation in primary teeth–Case report’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5427458/.
- Kavitha, M. et al. (2014) ‘Solution combustion synthesis and characterization of strontium substituted hydroxyapatite nanocrystals’, Powder Technology, 253, pp. 129–137.
- Koshy, S. and Tandon, S. (1998) ‘Dental age assessment: the applicability of Demirjian’s method in south Indian children’, Forensic science international, 94(1-2), pp. 73–85.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014a) ‘Schiff base complexes of rare earth metal ions: Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity for the oxidation of aniline and substituted anilines’, Journal of organometallic chemistry, 753, pp. 72–80.
- Lekha, L. et al. (2014b) ‘Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and antibacterial studies of lanthanide(III) Schiff base complexes containing N, O donor atoms’, Journal of Molecular Structure, pp. 307–313. doi: 10.1016/j.molstruc.2013.10.014.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and surfaces. B, Biointerfaces, 170, pp. 280–292.
- Moorrees, C. F., Fanning, E. A. and Hunt, E. E., Jr (1963) ‘FORMATION AND RESORPTION OF THREE DECIDUOUS TEETH IN CHILDREN’, American journal of physical anthropology, 21(2), pp. 205–213.
- Nair, M. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of post-operative pain after pulpectomy with k-files, kedo-s files and mtwo files in deciduous molars-a randomized clinical trial’, Brazilian Dental Science, 21(4), pp. 411–417.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Antibiofilm activity of three irrigation protocols activated by ultrasonic, diode laser or Er:YAG laser in vitro’, International endodontic journal, 48(6), pp. 602–610.
- Neelakantan, P. et al. (2015) ‘Influence of Irrigation Sequence on the Adhesion of Root Canal Sealers to Dentin: A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Push-out Bond Strength Analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 41(7), pp. 1108–1111.
- Neelakantan, P., Grotra, D. and Sharma, S. (2013) ‘Retreatability of 2 mineral trioxide aggregate-based root canal sealers: a cone-beam computed tomography analysis’, Journal of endodontia, 39(7), pp. 893–896.
- Nolla, C. M. and Others (1952) The development of permanent teeth. University of Michigan. Available at: https://www.dentalage.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/nolla_cm_1960_development_perm_teeth.pdf.
- Packiri, S., Gurunathan, D. and Selvarasu, K. (2017) ‘Management of Paediatric Oral Ranula: A Systematic Review’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(9), p. ZE06.
- Panchal, V. et al. (2019) ‘Comparison of instrumentation time and obturation quality between hand K-file, H-files, and rotary Kedo-S in root canal treatment of primary teeth: A randomized controlled trial’, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, 37(1), p. 75.
- Parthasarathy, M. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of hydrogen on ethanol-biodiesel blend on performance and emission characteristics of a direct injection diesel engine’, Ecotoxicology and environmental safety, 134(Pt 2), pp. 433–439.
- Patil, S. B. et al. (2017) ‘Comparison of Extended Nasolabial Flap Versus Buccal Fat Pad Graft in the Surgical Management of Oral Submucous Fibrosis: A Prospective Pilot Study’, Journal of maxillofacial and oral surgery, 16(3), pp. 312–321.
- PradeepKumar, A. R. et al. (2016) ‘Diagnosis of Vertical Root Fractures in Restored Endodontically Treated Teeth: A Time-dependent Retrospective Cohort Study’, Journal of endodontia, 42(8), pp. 1175–1180.
- Praveen, K. et al. (2001) ‘Hypotensive anaesthesia and blood loss in orthognathic surgery: a clinical study’, The British journal of oral & maxillofacial surgery, 39(2), pp. 138–140.
- Proffit, W. R., Fields, H. W., Jr. and Sarver, D. M. (2014) Contemporary Orthodontics - E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences.
- Putchala, M. C. et al. (2013) ‘Ascorbic acid and its pro-oxidant activity as a therapy for tumours of oral cavity – A systematic review’, Archives of Oral Biology, pp. 563–574. doi: 10.1016/j.archoralbio.2013.01.016.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Ravikumar, D., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2017) ‘Evaluation of knowledge among general dentists in treatment of traumatic injuries in primary teeth: A cross-sectional questionnaire study’, European journal of dentistry, 11(2), pp. 232–237.
- Sachan, K., Sharma, V. P. and Tandon, P. (2013) ‘Reliability of Nolla’s dental age assessment method for Lucknow population’, The Journal of clinical pediatric dentistry, 1(1), p. 8.
- Sajan, D. et al. (2011) ‘Molecular structure and vibrational spectra of 2,6-bis(benzylidene)cyclohexanone: a density functional theoretical study’, Spectrochimica acta. Part A, Molecular and biomolecular spectroscopy, 78(1), pp. 113–121.
- Sardana, D. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative assessment of chronological, dental, and skeletal age in children’, Indian Journal of Dental Research, p. 687. doi: 10.4103/ijdr.ijdr_698_17.
- Sinha, S. et al. (2014) ‘Dental age estimation by Demirjian’s and Nolla's method: A comparative study among children attending a dental college in Lucknow (UP)’, Journal of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology, 26(3), p. 279.
- Somasundaram, S. et al. (2015) ‘Fluoride Content of Bottled Drinking Water in Chennai, Tamilnadu’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 9(10), pp. ZC32–4.
- Subramanyam, D. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative evaluation of salivary malondialdehyde levels as a marker of lipid peroxidation in early childhood caries’, European journal of dentistry, 12(1), pp. 67–70.
- Svanholt, M. and Kjaer, I. (2008) ‘Developmental stages of permanent canines, premolars, and 2nd molars in 244 Danish children’, Acta odontologica Scandinavica, 66(6), pp. 342–350.
- Uthrakumar, R. et al. (2010) ‘Bulk crystal growth and characterization of non-linear optical bisthiourea zinc chloride single crystal by unidirectional growth method’, Current applied physics: the official journal of the Korean Physical Society, 10(2), pp. 548–552.
- Vijayakumar, G. N. S. et al. (2010) ‘Synthesis of electrospun ZnO/CuO nanocomposite fibers and their dielectric and non-linear optic studies’, Journal of alloys and compounds, 507(1), pp. 225–229.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.
- Williams, G. (2001) ‘A review of the most commonly used dental age estimation techniques’, The Journal of forensic odonto-stomatology, 19(1), pp. 9–17.