An Assessment of the psycho-social impact of COVID-19 in India
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 4001-4005
AbstractThe COVID-19 pandemic which has crippled the world is more than a health crisis. While the impact of this pandemic differs from one country to the other, it has however created chaos and raised instability in the domestic and global order. The immediate effect of this health related menace can be found on the economy of a country. Due to a halt in the economic activities, the world economy is shrinking at a faster rate. India being the third worst hit nations, has her own share of struggles. The tension alongside her borders has added fuel to the fire of misfortune spread by the ever rising corona virus cases. Keeping in mind the current scenario of India, this paper will focus on the social and psychological impacts of the pandemic on the lives of common people in India. As Aristotle rightly said “Man is by nature a social animal.” Men cannot live in isolation; the society completes the individual. The prevailing social distancing and isolation measures to contain the spread of the virus contrasts with men’s inherent nature of being social and has created a lot many personal and social problems.
- Mamun, M., & Ullah, I. (2020). COVID-19 suicides in Pakistan, dying off not COVID-19 fear but poverty? – The forthcoming economic challenges for a developing country. Brain, behavior, and immunity.
- Brooks, S., Smith, L., Webster, R., Woodland , L., Wessely , S., Greenberg , N., & Rubin, J. (2020). The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. The Lancet.
- Cava, M., Fay, K., Beanlands, H., McCay, E., & Wignall, R. (2005). The experience of quarantine for individuals affected by SARS in Toronto. Public Health Nursing, 398-406.
- Duan, L., & Zhu, G. (2020). Psychological interventions for people affected by the COVID-19 epidemic. Lancet Psychiatry.
- Engel-Yeger, B., Muzio, C., Rinosi, G., Solano , P., Geoffroy, P., Pompili, M., & Serafini, G. (2016). Extreme sensory processing patterns and their relation with clinical conditions among individuals with majo effective disorders. Psychiatry Research, 112-118.
- Hawryluck, L., Gold, W., Robinson, S., Pogorski, S., Galea, S., & Styra, R. (2004). SARS control and psychological effects of quarantine, Toronto, Canada. Emerging Infectious Diseases.
- Jeong, H., Yim, H., Song, Y.-J., Ki, M., Min, J., & Cho, J. (2016). Mental health status of people isolated due to Middle East respriatory syndrome. Epidemiol Health.
- Kaul, P. (2020, May 21). The Conversation. Retrieved from theconversation.com: http://theconversation.com/indias-stark-inequalities-make-social-distancing-much-easier-for-some-than-others-134864
- Khan, S., R, S., Li, H., Ali, A., Shereen, M., Bashir, N., & Xue , M. (2020). Impact of coronavirus outbreak on psychological health. Journal of Global health.
- Lai, C., Ko, W., Tang, H., & Hsueh, P. (2020). Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID 19): the epidemic and the challeges. International Journal of Antimicrob Agents.
- Lee, M., & You, M. (2020). Psychological and behavioural responses in South Korea during the early stages of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.
- Mamun, M., & Griffiths, M. (2020). First COVID-19 suicide case in Bangladesh due to fear of COVID-19 and xenophobia: Possible suicide prevention strategies. Asian journal of psychiatry.
- Maunder, R., Hunter, J., Vincent, L., Bennett, J., Peladeau, N., & Leszcz, M. (2003). The immediate psychological and occupational impact of 2003 SARS outbreak in a teaching hospital. CMAJ, 1245-51.
- Orsolini, L., Latini, R., Pompili, M., Serafini, G., Volpe, U., Vellante, F., & Alessandrini, M. (2020). Understanding the complex of suicide in depression: from research to clinics. Psychiatry Investigation, 207.
- Rajkumar, R. P. (2020). Suicides related to the COVID-19 outbreak in India: A pilot study of media reports. Elsevier Public Health Emergency Collection.
- Reynold, D., Garay, J., Deamond, S., Moran, M., Gold, W., & Styra, R. (2008). Understanding, complaince and psychological impact of the SARS quarantine experience. Epidemiology & Infection, 997-1007.
- Sahoo, S., Rani, S., Parveen, S., Singh, A., Mehra, A., Chakrabarti, S., & Grover, S. (2020). Self-harm and COVID-19 Pandemic: An emerging concern – A report of 2 cases from India. Elsevier Public Health Emergency Collection.
- Thakur, R. (2020, May 25). Food Corporation of India allocates 120 LMT foodgrains for distribution in states aid lockdown.
- Torales, J., O'Higgins, M., Castaldelli-Maia, J., & Ventriglio, A. (2020). The outbreak of COVID-19 coronavirus and its ompact on global mental health. International Journal of Social Psychiatry.
- Article View: 127
- PDF Download: 81