The Applications and the current status of silver nanoparticles in the field of Orthodontics
Journal of Contemporary Issues in Business and Government,
2021, Volume 27, Issue 2, Pages 3619-3622
AbstractNanotechnology over past decades, has emerged as a mainstay in various fields and has been employed in various biomedical applications. It is currently being extensively used in the manufacture of drugs, as a diagnostic aid, in implants, as a prosthetic material and in tissue engineering. With the recent introduction of advanced Nano robotic models in local anesthetic procedures, the applications and importance of nanotechnology in the field of healthcare have gained renewed impetus. This review primarily throws light on the current applications of silver nanoparticles in the field of Dentistry, emphasizing on orthodontics in particular, with regard to their antimicrobial properties, anti-cariogenic effects, Nano silver coating applications of orthodontic brackets, micro implants, biocompatibility analysis and fixed orthodontic appliances.
- Agarwal H., S. Menon, S.V. Kumar, S. Rajeshkumar, Mechanistic study on antibacterial action of zinc oxide nanoparticles synthesized using green route, Chemico-Biological Interactions (2018), doi:10.1016/j.cbi.2018.03.008.
- Soumya Menon, Shrudhi Devi KS, Santhiya R, Rajeshkumar S, Venkat Kumar S, Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018:11(170);280-290.
- Santhoshkumar J, Venkat Kumar S Rajeshkumar S, Phyto-assisted synthesis, characterization and applications of gold nanoparticles – A review Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports .2017;11; 46–57
- Rajeshkumar S, Bharath LV. Mechanism of plant-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles - A review on biomolecules involved, characterisation and antibacterial activity Chemico-Biological Interactions ,2017;273 ; 219-227.
- Chellakannu M, Panneerselvam T, Rajeshkumar S, Kinetic study on the herbal synthesis of silver nanoparticles and its antioxidant and antibacterial effect against gastrointestinal pathogens, International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences.2019;10 (1): 407-414
- P Karthiga, S Rajeshkumar, G Annadurai. Mechanism of larvicidal activity of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles synthesized using novel Garcinia mangostana bark extract Journal of Cluster science .2018.;29(6) ;1233-1241.
- Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Vanaja M, Annadurai G. Anticancer and enhanced antimicrobial activity of biosynthesizd silver nanoparticles against clinical pathogens Journal of Molecular Structure. 2016; 1116 ;165-173.
- Venkat Kumar S, Rajeshkumar S. Optimized production of silver nanoparticles using marine macroalgae Sargassum myriocystum for its anticancer and enhanced antibacterial activity Journal of Bionanoscience.2017; 1: 1-7 doi:10.1166/jbns.2017.1458.
- Mona Riad, Asmaa Y. Harhash, Omnia A. Elhiny and Ghada A. Salem. Evaluation of the Shear Bond Strength of Orthodontic Adhesive System Containing Antimicrobial Silver Nano Particles on Bonding of Metal Brackets to Enamel. Life Sci J .2015;12(12):27-34.
- Degrazia, Felipe Weidenbach, Leitune, Vicente Castelo Branco, Garcia, Isadora Martini, Arthur, Rodrigo Alex, Samuel, Susana Maria Werner, & Collares, Fabrício Mezzomo. Effect of silver nanoparticles on the physicochemical and antimicrobial properties of an orthodontic adhesive. Journal of Applied Oral Science, 2016;24(4), 404-410.
- Metin-Gürsoy G, Taner L, Barış E. Biocompatibility of nanosilver-coated orthodontic brackets: an in vivo study. Prog Orthod. 2016;17(1):39.
- Hernández-Gómora AE, Lara-Carrillo E, Robles-Navarro JB, et al. Biosynthesis of Silver Nanoparticles on Orthodontic Elastomeric Modules: Evaluation of Mechanical and Antibacterial Properties. Molecules. 2017;22(9):1407.
- F. Li, M. D. Weir, J. Chen, H. H. K. Xu. Comparison of quaternary ammonium-containing with nano-silver-containing adhesive in antibacterial properties and cytotoxicity.Dental Materials, 2013; 29(4),450–461.
- Ahmad Sodagar, Azam Akhavan, Ehsan Hashemi, Sepideh Arab, Maryam Pourhajibagher, Kosar Sodagar, Mohammad Javad Kharrazifard and Abbas Bahador. Evaluation of the antibacterial activity of a conventional orthodontic composite containing silver/hydroxyapatite nanoparticles. Progress in Orthodontics. 2016; 17:40.
- Sonja Blöcher, Roland Frankenberger, Andreas Hellak, Michael Schauseil, Matthias Roggendorf, Heike Maria Korbmacher-Steine .Effect on enamel shear bond strength of adding microsilver and nanosilver particles to the primer of an orthodontic adhesive. BMC Oral Health .2015; 15:42.
- Adith Venugopal, Nallal Muthuchamy, Harsh Tejani Anantha-Iyengar- Gopalan, Kwang-Pill Lee Heon-Jin Lee Hee Moon Kyung Incorporation of silver nanoparticles on the surface of orthodontic microimplants to achieve Antimicrobial properties. Korean J Orthod. 2017; 47(1): 3–10.
- Lee, S. J., Heo, M., Lee, D., Han, S., Moon, J.-H., Lim, H.-N., & Kwon, I. K. Preparation and characterization of antibacterial orthodontic resin containing silver nanoparticles. Applied Surface Science.2018 ;432, 317–323.
- Shafiei F, Ashnagar A, Ghavami-Lahiji M, Najafi F, Amin Marashi SM. Evaluation of Antibacterial Properties of Dental Adhesives Containing Metal Nanoparticles J Dent Biomater, 2018;5(1):510-519.
- Gamze Metin-Gürsoy, Lale Taner and Gülçin Akca, Nanosilver coated orthodontic brackets: in vivo antibacterial properties and ion release . European Journal of Orthodontics, 2017; 9–16
- Mihai flaviu Suhani, Grigore băciuţăMihaela băciut, Raluca Suhani, Simion bran current perspectives regarding the application and incorporation of silver nanoparticles into dental biomaterials. Clujul Medical.2018; 91(3): 274-279
- Aileni Kaladhar Reddy, Prabhuraj B. Kambalyal, Karpagavalli Shanmugasundaram, Rajesh V, Sowjanya Donthula, Santosh R. Patil. Comparative Evaluation of Antimicrobial Efficacy of Silver, Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles against Streptococcus mutans. Pesq Bras Odontoped Clin Integr.2018; 18(1):e4150
- Mares-Garcia AS, Moreno-Meraz G, Mariel-Cardenas J, Centeno-Sanchez R nd Gordillo-Moscoso AA (2016). Antimicrobial effectivity of silver Nanoparticles in orthodontics: in vitro study. Front. Bioeng. Biotechnol. Conference Abstract: 10th World Biomaterials Congress. doi: 10.3389/conf.FBIOE.2016.01.03036
- Akhavan A, Sodagar A, Mojtahedzadeh F, Sodagar K. Investigating the effect of incorporating nanosilver/nanohydroxyapatite particles on the shear bond strength of orthodontic adhesives. Acta Odontol Scand. 2013; 71:1038–1042.
- Panchali Batra, Anam Mushtaq, Jahirul mazumder, Meryam S Rizvi and Ragini Miglani Nanoparticles and their Applications in Orthodontics Adv Dent & Oral Health 2(2): ADOH.MS.ID.555584 (2016)
- Ali borzabadi-farahani, Ebrahim borzabadi, Edward lynch nanoparticles in orthodontics, a review of antimicrobial and anti-caries applications acta odontologica scandinavica. 2014; 72: 413–417.
- Shah PK, Sharma P, Goje SK. Comparative evaluation of frictional resistance of silver-coated stainless steel wires with uncoated stainless steel wires: An in vitro study. Contemp Clin Dent. 2018; 9, Suppl S2:331-6
- Farhadian, N., Usefi Mashoof, R., Khanizadeh, S., Ghaderi, E., Farhadian, M., & Miresmaeili, A. Streptococcus mutans counts in patients wearing removable retainers with silver nanoparticles vs those wearing conventional retainers: A randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, 2016;149(2), 155–160.
- Mariel, H. Murga, et al. "Antimicrobial efficacy of orthodontic primer added with silver nanoparticles. Cross-sectional in vitro study." Investigacion clinica 2016:57(4): 321-329.
- Article View: 165
- PDF Download: 104