Document Type : Research Article
1 Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences (SIMATS) Saveetha University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India- 600077
2 Associate professor, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences No: 162, PH Road Chennai – Tamil Nadu, India - 600077
3 Senior Lecturer, Department of Prosthodontics, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Saveetha University, Chennai – Tamil Nadu, India - 600077
4 Associate professor, Department of General Pharmacology, Saveetha Dental College and Hospitals, Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences No: 162, PH Road, Chennai – Tamil Nadu, India - 600077
The aim of this study is to review the gender differences in dental anxiety and the role a dentist plays in it, to assess those patients and treat them according and to make certain exceptions with patients with dental anxiety. Dental anxiety is a major hurdle when it comes to seeking advice in oral and dental problems. Dental pain and dental anxiety are the most common phobias among people. Pain is defined as an unpleasant sensation associated with sensory and emotional stimuli. Anxiety is due to emotion aroused by danger and pain because of distress. Toothache is one of the major causes which brings the patient to a dentist. Dental fear and anxiety are the two major factors that prevent patients from visiting a dentist. There is a common observation where patients only visit a dentist when there is severe Pain otherwise patients with dental anxiety don't go to a dentist. Anxious patients suffer from inferior oral health than non - anxious patients.A review with recent information about gender differences in dental anxiety and its impact on dentists and patients from various search engines like medline, google scholar, bioRXIV, pubmed, chem RXIV, MESH etc. The recent articles discussed in this review helps in gaining knowledge about the gender differences in dental anxiety, how much the influence of anxiety has on patients who need dental treatment .Female patients wish to seek treatment and also have a higher level of anxiety whereas male patients avoid dental treatment because they are frightened about pain, their negative experience and in some cases, worried about the expense of a dental treatment. And in other cases, people do not think dental treatment is necessary at all and thus leading to improper oral hygiene.
- S.Either , M.Wichmann , A. Paulson , S.Holst Dental Anxiety - An epidemiological study on its clinical correlation and effects on oral health J. oral Rehab 33 (2006 ) , pp 588 - 593 .
- J. M Armfield , AJ. Spencer , J.F Stewart Dental fear is fustralia : who's afraid of the dentist? Aus Dent J, 51 ( 20 06 ) , pp - 78- 85.
- TF Wishoff, O. Vassend, 0. Asmhyr, Dental Anxiety, utilization of dental services, DMFS Status in Norwegian military recruits Comm Dent Health 12 ( 1995 ) pp.100 - 103
- Lukacs JR. Sex differences in dental caries experience : clinical evidence, complex etiology, clin oral Investig. 2011, 15: 649-56.
- Soraya cochho beat et al : Dental anxiety and pouri slated to ART ; Journal of applied wral science 2009 vol 17
- Coric A : Dental Fear and anxiety in older children and it's coping strategies: sowinal of pain research 2014 : 7 . 515 - 521 .
- Ferraro M, Viera AR explaining gender differences in caries : A multifactorial apprad to a multifactorial disease . Int J Dent 2010, 649643.
- Doyal L , Naidoo s. Why dentists should take a gelater interest in sex and gender . Br Dents 2010 . 209: 335- 7.
- Albandar JM. Global risk factors and risk indicators for periodontal diseases . Periodontd 2000 ; 2002 ; 29:177- 206.
- Furuta M, Ekuni D , Irie K , AzumaT et al , Sex differences in gingivitis relate to interaction of oral health behaviours in young people . J. Periodontol 2011; 82:558-65
- Peretz B , Mann J. Dental anxiety among Israeli dental students : a 4 year longitudinal study. Eur J Dent Educ 2000 Aug 4 (33) : 133-7.
- Locker D, Psychological consequences of dentalear and anxiety . Community Dentoral Epidemiol 2003 ; 31; 144-51.
- Mcgrath C, Bedi R . The association between dental anxiety and oral health related quality of life in Bruitavi. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2004; 32; 67-72.
- Hake berg M, Berggren U, Grondahl HG. A Radiographic study of dental health in adult patients with dental anxiety . Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1993; 21; 27-30.
- Dixon GS, thomson WM et al The west coast study Itself reported dental health and the useof dental services . NZ Dent J 1999 ; 95 ; 38 - 43 .
- Schuller AA, Willumsen T, Holst D, Are there differences in oral health and oral health behaviour between individuals with high and low dental fear ? Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2003; 31; 116- 21.
- Hagglin C, Berggren U, et al Dental anxiety among middle aged and elderly women in Sweden. Gerodontology 1996 ; 13 ; 25 - 34.
- Manski RJ, Gold Farb MM, Dental utilization for older Americans aged 55-75, Gerodontology 1996 ; 13; 49-55.
- Wuensch Karl L ( October 4, 2005) "What is Likert Scale ?, East Carolina University, core edu. Retrieved - April 30 , 2009 .
- Skaret E et al Gender based differences in factors related to non utilization of dental care in young Norwegians . Eur J oral Su 2003; 111; 377-82.
- Eli I , Baht R et al , Effect of gender on acute pain prediction and memory in periodontal dental Care is young Norwegians Eur J Oral Sci 2000, Apx 108 ( 2) : 99-103.
- (Ariga et al., 2018)
- (Jyothi et al., 2017)
- (Duraisamy et al., 2019)
- (Selvan and Ganapathy, 2016)
- (Ganapathy et al., 2016)
- (Subasree, Murthykumar and Dhanraj, 2016)
- (Ranganathan, Ganapathy and Jain, 2017)
- (Vijayalakshmi and Ganapathy, 2016)
- (Ganapathy, Kannan and Venugopalan, 2017)
- (Ashok and Suvitha, 2016)
- (Ashok et al., 2014)
- (Venugopalan et al., 2014)
- (Kannan and Venugopalan, 2018)
- (Basha, Ganapathy and Venugopalan, 2018)
- (Ajay et al., 2017)
- Ajay, R. et al. (2017) ‘Effect of surface modifications on the retention of cement-retained implant crowns under fatigue loads: An In vitro study’, Journal of Pharmacy And Bioallied Sciences, p. 154. doi: 10.4103/jpbs.jpbs_146_17.
- Ariga, P. et al. (2018) ‘Determination of Correlation of Width of Maxillary Anterior Teeth using Extraoral and Intraoral Factors in Indian Population: A Systematic Review’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 68–75. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1509.
- Ashok, V. et al. (2014) ‘Lip Bumper Prosthesis for an Acromegaly Patient: A Clinical Report’, Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society, 14(Suppl 1), pp. 279–282.
- Ashok, V. and Suvitha, S. (2016) ‘Awareness of all ceramic restoration in rural population’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1691. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00340.1.
- Basha, F. Y. S., Ganapathy, D. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘Oral Hygiene Status among Pregnant Women’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 3099. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00569.3.
- Deogade, S., Gupta, P. and Ariga, P. (2018) ‘Effect of monopoly-coating agent on the surface roughness of a tissue conditioner subjected to cleansing and disinfection: A Contact Profilometric In vitro study’, Contemporary Clinical Dentistry, p. 122. doi: 10.4103/ccd.ccd_112_18.
- Dua, K. et al. (2019) ‘The potential of siRNA based drug delivery in respiratory disorders: Recent advances and progress’, Drug development research, 80(6), pp. 714–730.
- Duraisamy, R. et al. (2019) ‘Compatibility of Nonoriginal Abutments With Implants: Evaluation of Microgap at the Implant-Abutment Interface, With Original and Nonoriginal Abutments’, Implant dentistry, 28(3), pp. 289–295.
- Ezhilarasan, D. (2018) ‘Oxidative stress is bane in chronic liver diseases: Clinical and experimental perspective’, Arab journal of gastroenterology: the official publication of the Pan-Arab Association of Gastroenterology, 19(2), pp. 56–64.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Apoorva, V. S. and Ashok Vardhan, N. (2019) ‘Syzygium cumini extract induced reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis in human oral squamous carcinoma cells’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(2), pp. 115–121.
- Ezhilarasan, D., Sokal, E. and Najimi, M. (2018) ‘Hepatic fibrosis: It is time to go with hepatic stellate cell-specific therapeutic targets’, Hepatobiliary & pancreatic diseases international: HBPD INT, 17(3), pp. 192–197.
- Ganapathy, D. et al. (2016) ‘Effect of Resin Bonded Luting Agents Influencing Marginal Discrepancy in All Ceramic Complete Veneer Crowns’, Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 10(12), pp. ZC67–ZC70.
- Ganapathy, D. M., Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2017) ‘Effect of Coated Surfaces influencing Screw Loosening in Implants: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis’, World Journal of Dentistry, pp. 496–502. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10015-1493.
- Gheena, S. and Ezhilarasan, D. (2019) ‘Syringic acid triggers reactive oxygen species-mediated cytotoxicity in HepG2 cells’, Human & experimental toxicology, 38(6), pp. 694–702.
- Gomathi, A. C. et al. (2020) ‘Anticancer activity of silver nanoparticles synthesized using aqueous fruit shell extract of Tamarindus indica on MCF-7 human breast cancer cell line’, Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, p. 101376. doi: 10.1016/j.jddst.2019.101376.
- Jeevanandan, G. and Govindaraju, L. (2018) ‘Clinical comparison of Kedo-S paediatric rotary files vs manual instrumentation for root canal preparation in primary molars: a double blinded randomised clinical trial’, European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry, pp. 273–278. doi: 10.1007/s40368-018-0356-6.
- J, P. C. et al. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research, 20(4), pp. 531–534.
- Jyothi, S. et al. (2017) ‘Periodontal Health Status of Three Different Groups Wearing Temporary Partial Denture’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 4339. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2017.00795.8.
- Kannan, A. and Venugopalan, S. (2018) ‘A systematic review on the effect of use of impregnated retraction cords on gingiva’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2121. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2018.00393.1.
- Malli Sureshbabu, N. et al. (2019) ‘Concentrated Growth Factors as an Ingenious Biomaterial in Regeneration of Bony Defects after Periapical Surgery: A Report of Two Cases’, Case reports in dentistry, 2019, p. 7046203.
- Mathew, M. G. et al. (2020) ‘Evaluation of adhesion of Streptococcus mutans, plaque accumulation on zirconia and stainless steel crowns, and surrounding gingival inflammation in primary …’, Clinical oral investigations. Available at: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00784-020-03204-9.
- Mehta, M. et al. (2019) ‘Oligonucleotide therapy: An emerging focus area for drug delivery in chronic inflammatory respiratory diseases’, Chemico-biological interactions, 308, pp. 206–215.
- Menon, S. et al. (2018) ‘Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism’, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, pp. 280–292. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2018.06.006.
- Panchal, V., Jeevanandan, G. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Comparison of post-operative pain after root canal instrumentation with hand K-files, H-files and rotary Kedo-S files in primary teeth: a randomised clinical trial’, European archives of paediatric dentistry: official journal of the European Academy of Paediatric Dentistry, 20(5), pp. 467–472.
- Pc, J., Marimuthu, T. and Devadoss, P. (2018) ‘Prevalence and measurement of anterior loop of the mandibular canal using CBCT: A cross sectional study’, Clinical implant dentistry and related research. Available at: https://europepmc.org/article/med/29624863.
- Prabakar, J. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Retention, Cariostatic Effect and Discoloration of Conventional and Hydrophilic Sealants - A Single Blinded Randomized Split Mouth Clinical Trial’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 9(Suppl 2), pp. S233–S239.
- Rajendran, R. et al. (2019) ‘Comparative Evaluation of Remineralizing Potential of a Paste Containing Bioactive Glass and a Topical Cream Containing Casein Phosphopeptide-Amorphous Calcium Phosphate: An in Vitro Study’, Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clínica Integrada, pp. 1–10. doi: 10.4034/pboci.2019.191.61.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2018) ‘Biosynthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles usingMangifera indica leaves and evaluation of their antioxidant and cytotoxic properties in lung cancer (A549) cells’, Enzyme and microbial technology, 117, pp. 91–95.
- Rajeshkumar, S. et al. (2019) ‘Antibacterial and antioxidant potential of biosynthesized copper nanoparticles mediated through Cissus arnotiana plant extract’, Journal of photochemistry and photobiology. B, Biology, 197, p. 111531.
- Ramadurai, N. et al. (2019) ‘Effectiveness of 2% Articaine as an anesthetic agent in children: randomized controlled trial’, Clinical oral investigations, 23(9), pp. 3543–3550.
- Ramakrishnan, M., Dhanalakshmi, R. and Subramanian, E. M. G. (2019) ‘Survival rate of different fixed posterior space maintainers used in Paediatric Dentistry - A systematic review’, The Saudi dental journal, 31(2), pp. 165–172.
- Ramesh, A. et al. (2018) ‘Comparative estimation of sulfiredoxin levels between chronic periodontitis and healthy patients - A case-control study’, Journal of periodontology, 89(10), pp. 1241–1248.
- Ranganathan, H., Ganapathy, D. M. and Jain, A. R. (2017) ‘Cervical and Incisal Marginal Discrepancy in Ceramic Laminate Veneering Materials: A SEM Analysis’, Contemporary clinical dentistry, 8(2), pp. 272–278.
- Samuel, S. R., Acharya, S. and Rao, J. C. (2020) ‘School Interventions-based Prevention of Early-Childhood Caries among 3-5-year-old children from very low socioeconomic status: Two-year randomized trial’, Journal of public health dentistry, 80(1), pp. 51–60.
- Selvan, S. R. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Efficacy of fifth generation cephalosporins against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus-A review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 1815. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00369.3.
- Sharma, P. et al. (2019) ‘Emerging trends in the novel drug delivery approaches for the treatment of lung cancer’, Chemico-biological interactions, 309, p. 108720.
- Sridharan, G. et al. (2019) ‘Evaluation of salivary metabolomics in oral leukoplakia and oral squamous cell carcinoma’, Journal of oral pathology & medicine: official publication of the International Association of Oral Pathologists and the American Academy of Oral Pathology, 48(4), pp. 299–306.
- Subasree, S., Murthykumar, K. and Dhanraj (2016) ‘Effect of Aloe Vera in Oral Health-A Review’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 609. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00116.5.
- Varghese, S. S., Ramesh, A. and Veeraiyan, D. N. (2019) ‘Blended Module-Based Teaching in Biostatistics and Research Methodology: A Retrospective Study with Postgraduate Dental Students’, Journal of dental education, 83(4), pp. 445–450.
- Venugopalan, S. et al. (2014) ‘Magnetically retained silicone facial prosthesis’, Nigerian journal of clinical practice, 17(2), pp. 260–264.
- Vijayalakshmi, B. and Ganapathy, D. (2016) ‘Medical management of cellulitis’, Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, p. 2067. doi: 10.5958/0974-360x.2016.00422.4.
- Vijayashree Priyadharsini, J. (2019) ‘In silico validation of the non-antibiotic drugs acetaminophen and ibuprofen as antibacterial agents against red complex pathogens’, Journal of periodontology, 90(12), pp. 1441–1448.
- Vishnu Prasad, S. et al. (2018) ‘Report on oral health status and treatment needs of 5-15 years old children with sensory deficits in Chennai, India’, Special care in dentistry: official publication of the American Association of Hospital Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry for the Handicapped, and the American Society for Geriatric Dentistry, 38(1), pp. 58–59.
- Wahab, P. U. A. et al. (2018) ‘Scalpel Versus Diathermy in Wound Healing After Mucosal Incisions: A Split-Mouth Study’, Journal of oral and maxillofacial surgery: official journal of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, 76(6), pp. 1160–1164.